No need to run to get a head start
Decathlon’s Pulse team, working with the design department, is in charge of monitoring societal developments and emerging practices for all of the company’s brands. For the SS23 season, the Pulse team needs to set up a customised trend watch to inspire multidisciplinary teams (product design, innovation, brand, comms, etc) and introduce seasonal artistic directions. What kind of format could facilitate, inspire and reinforce the teams’ strategic and creative decision-making?
A tailor-made methodology
We put Decathlon’s challenges into perspective with:
• A selection of socio-cultural dynamics
• Analysis of the target audience: insights, lifestyle, aspirations
• A search for inspiration beyond the established sector, drawing on the worlds of art, fashion and traditional and popular culture to broaden the perspectives of innovation…
Using a 4-step methodology (weak signals, tribes and aspirations, sports practices and innovation tracks for the brand), we have identified major directions such as “regenerating nature”, “the quest for ultimate well-being” and “the energy of the collective”.
- Unframed benchmarks
- Societal shifts
- Structuring macro-dynamics
- Projection in the sports activities of tomorrow
- Consumer behaviors
- Emerging signals
- 6 macro-dynamics
- 9 themes